Fennel and arugula salad (with protein option)
- Servings 4
- Preparation 30 minutes
- Cooking time 10 minutes
- Calories 0
- Difficulty easy
- 1 1/2 tsp. roasted pine nuts
- 2 fennel bulbs (medium size)
- 500 ml (2 cups) arugula
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) chopped parsley
- 1 C. salt flakes Fleur de sel (Salt Spring Sea Salt) or coarse sea salt
- 4 tbsp. fresh parmesan cheese style pecorino or other fresh, finely grated
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) apple cider vinegar vinaigrette (see apple cider vinegar vinaigrette recipe)
- 1 C. tablespoons crushed black pepper (or ground peppercorns)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Spread the pine nuts on a lightly oiled baking pan (on parchment paper or directly on the baking pan).
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring halfway through or occasionally, until golden brown.
- Cool and reserve.
- Cut the fennel tops (leafy part at the top of the white bulb) and set aside for garnish.
- Cut the fennel in half, then remove the core. Thinly slice the fennel lengthwise.
- In a bowl, combine the fennel, arugula, parsley, salt, cheese (reserve a little cheese for garnish) and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Divide among 4 bowls. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts, remaining Parmesan, cracked or ground black pepper and a few sprigs of fennel tops.
- Protein option:
- Added a hard-boiled egg cut in half
- Add a cane of chopped tuna in olive oil.